Monday 20 February 2012

Life's a beach



Yesterday I did a 10-mile run with my brother; the farthest I've been in three weeks. And, due to my brother's long legs, it was much faster than usual, too.

To be honest, I was nervous. I haven't run outside for ages and feared I may have forgotten how. Thankfully it was like riding a bike - which was handy as we were running along the new Exe Estuary cycle path.

I can honestly say it was one of the loveliest runs I have ever done. Beautiful countryside, chocolate box villages, silence except for the breeze across the Exe. I live in London and don't mind the crowds, but I do sometimes find the noise a bit much. Now if I find it overwhelming, I shall simply recall the harbour, just outside Topsham, where the boats are moored and the only sounds are wind chimes and lapping of waves. Ah.... anyway, the ten miles flew by and we were soon sat in a cafe on the beach, drinking tea and eating ginger biscuits.

I'm delighted. I felt great after the run. In fact, I felt I could have managed the 10 miles home. I'm not sure whether this confidence is novelty at being out on the road again, blind optimism or - and this is the theory I favour most - my time in the gym is paying off. I've been doing proper interval training on the running machine. And maybe, just maybe, I'm getting fitter. That would be nice.

(Stats: 10.4 miles; 99 minutes; 9.31 minute/mile. One coke, one tea, one ginger biscuit, several chips.)

(Pic: Oh I do like to be beside the seaside, especially when it involves a cuppa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment