Thursday 8 December 2011

A good reason to run



I took up running (as if I'm a professional?!) about 8 years ago.

I was given an iPod when I left my job in Devon. Suddenly getting out of the door to run became a lot easier.

Nowadays I don't necessarily need a reason to run. It's become an end in itself. That said, with a marathon looming it seemed a shame to be doing all those miles (not just 26 on the day, but the thousands of miles of training too) without it meaning something.

So, I'm raising money for a little charity that I came across on a trip to Ethiopia. Mossy Foot UK helps to fight a nasty disease called podoconiosis that affects the feet and can even stop people from walking altogether.

It seems right that I can use my feet to help others'. I will not, however, be wearing a fancy dress costume. I think getting round in a small pair of shorts is challenge enough for now.

(Pic: I think this is the Mesket Escarpment. One of the most breathtaking places I have ever visited. And not just because we trekked 18 miles up a mountain in one day, though that was quite tiring.)


No comments:

Post a Comment