Sunday 11 September 2011

Cold comfort pond



Today I did my first duathlon. Well, maybe that's a minor exaggeration. I ran to Hampstead Heath, then went for a quick dip in the ladies' pond. It's part of my quest to become north London's answer to Wim Hof - the 'Ice Man' - who endures Arctic temperatures in just his Speedos.

There are two reasons I fancy this: firstly, I find swimming outdoors very therapeutic and I'd like to carry on doing it through the winter, ideally, without a wetsuit. That's because I've been told (by my physio neighbour) that freezing cold water is excellent for 'toning and tightening'. So that's the second reason I'm doing it. What a wonderful motivator is vanity.

Let's see how long this lasts (or, more importantly, how low the temperature goes) before self-preservation kicks in (or something drops off!)

(Stats: 2.84 miles; 30 minutes; 10.33 minute/mile. Pond temp: 16.3 degrees.)

No comments:

Post a Comment