Monday 8 September 2014

A very nice surprise

A strange thing happened on Sunday. I ran the final 10k in the Regent's Park summer series - and I got a pb.

I attribute this to two things:

1. I rested up and ate a lot of pasta for the two days preceding the race
2. For the first time ever, I had a plan - I was aiming for a pace of 5'40" per km and kept an eye on my stopwatch to maintain this speed

Actually, there was a third thing: I got to the start line early and positioned myself near the fast runners. I was hoping some of their glory might rub off on me. And indeed it did.

A month ago, my 10km time was 58'15". My aim was just to breach the 58-minute mark. So when I saw the final result, I was so surprised, I thought there'd been a mistake.

Stats: 10km (6.2 miles); 53.48; 8.40 minute/mile.

Pic: The tastiest finish-line flapjack of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment