Saturday 12 May 2012

Taking the plunge

It's taken a little while to get my stride back after the marathon, but today I jumped right back in: to parkrun - and to the ladies' pond. The run was lovely: sun shining; happy faces; dogs. Lots and lots of dogs. One dog, I think it was a Basset, even seemed to start us off - standing proudly to one side as we lined up, wagging his tail in encouragement. To be honest, I was envious of his four legs. My two didn't work that well today. In the night, someone had replaced all my blood with lead. I tried to will my body to move faster, but it wasn't having any of it. In the end, I resigned myself to a very gentle plod. And, on the plus side, it meant I could enjoy watching all the little four-legged friends frolicking in the way they do. Mainly in fox poo. Post-run, I headed for the bathing pond. It's a mighty 12 degrees now - 9 degrees warmer than my coldest swim. However, the sunshine today was a bit of a trick and I had to summon all my resolve just to get in. The lifeguard advised a long breath out as you enter the water. It was so cold, I feared it wouldn't be followed by any sort of breath in. But good to freshen up - and it entirely justified the small mountain of fried breakfast I consumed ten minutes later. (Stats: 3.1 miles; 27.15 minutes; 8.47 minute/mile.) (Pic: Parkrun involved running up this big hill. Twice. I much prefer strolling down. Slowly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment