Friday 15 July 2011

Labyrinthwhatus?

I am painfully aware that it has been nearly one month since my last run. In fact, I haven't set foot in my trainers since the half. I thought I was suffering from some kind of running ennui, having reached my goal. And notice I use the word 'reached' not 'achieved'. However, the ennui has a name. Labyrinthitis.

For the past 5 or 6 weeks, I've had varying degrees of dizziness. In fact, I've fallen over a few times. And some of those times I was sober. It had occurred pre-race, but I ignored it. I did, however, write a small essay on the back of my race number with a liturgy of ailments. Had I actually keeled over, I fear I'd have passed away before the first-aider had finished reading.

Finally, I went to the doctor. He said I'm fighting some form of bug, which has left me with a wretched sore throat and affected my inner ear. Hence, the labyrinthitis. It upsets your sense of balance, which explains why I frequently feel like I'm going up and down in a lift. Apparently, I'm not to exercise for a while, which is fine because just wandering up and down to the tube station knocks me out.

So, this leaves me with a bit of space to plan my next half-marathon, which I'm hoping to do in October. This time I will have a different strategy, i.e. I will have a strategy. I just have to decide what that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment